02 February 2010

A cozy family weekend in a norwegian cabin

This past weekend my family went to Bjorli. It is a wonderful skiing place that has tons of cozy norwegian cabins around it :) We left friday as soon as everyone was home, and it took about 2 hours to get there. We had to take a ferry to get there also which is pretty cool. Its kind of neat to take a ferry, its been so long since I have been on one before I came to Norway. Here is our cabin:



Anyways...when we arrived there it was -18 outside! BRRRRR.. but it was really nice weather. Snow everywhere! It was a very cozy friday night, we just had dinner and relaxed, played cards, just spent time together.

Saturday we woke up and had breakfast and then prepared to go duh duh duhhhhh SKIING! I was really excited cause I love skiing (even though I have only gone 2 times haha). This was actually my second time, so I was kind of nervous. Some pictures:



Ingvild, Anna(my sisters friend), Hanna og jeg


Pappa

So the first thing I did was go down barnebakken (beginners hill) and it went pretty well. I was feeling pretty confident, a little nervous still. So we decided to take the 6 person chair lift to the TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN.


I have always wanted to ride on a lift like this so it was pretty awesome for me! I was a little worried about getting off though, it turned out ALMOST badly haha. I forgot to move my skis off the bar thing that they had to lift up for us to get off, but I moved them last minute as my leg was raising with the bar. Oooops. At the top it was quite cold cause there was a bunch of wind, but the view was absolutely amazing.

Going up the mountain:

At the top:

I think it beats all the beautiful nature I have seen here so far. This was definitely the most beautiful!

Then we began to go down the mountain. We took the track that curved around the mountain so that it wouldn't be SUPER steep for me. Well the beginning was a little steep, it was the worst part. I was going way faster than I ever have and yelling while I was going down haha. My mom kept telling me I was doing good, but I felt a little bit out of control. Probably because I was really scared!! Then I got to the point where the rest of my family was stopped and I was going way to fast to stop where they were so I drove right off the path into really deep snow! It was really funny I was stuck and just laughing sooo much. Eventually I got up after my dad showed me how to and we were on our way down the mountain again. This time I followed my mom and just practiced going slow and turning. It was going ok for awhile until we came to another steeper hill and while I was going down I got a really sharp pain in my left hip, it felt like my hip was about to displace itself. When I was younger I was born with my hips displaced actually and had to wear a brace to put them in place. So it kind of freaked me out when I felt the pain in my hip so I went down to the ground to stop. It was really scary. And honestly going down the mountain was one of the scariest things I have ever done! Actually I think it IS the scariest thing I have ever done. My mom says it is good I was scared though, so that I was careful and didn't get really hurt. Anyways, I had to walk down the rest of that hill cause of my hip and just being afraid (yes pathetic me haha) And then I got back on the skis and at the end of the hill it was steep so I just ended up walking the rest of the way down. I felt really stupid but its okay. I put up a fight as my dad said! Afterwards I just rode the beginners hill over and over again practicing! Soon I will be ready to conquer the mountain again.

When we got back to the cabin we all just took showers and relaxed and around 5 we went to see the Bjorli Snøhotell! I was really excited because I have always always ALWAYS wanted to see an ice/snow hotel. Its like been on my to do list for awhile now. And thanks to my parents here I got to see one! I love them very much, and really appreciate it! The snow hotel was completely awesome. I have tons of pictures haha (courtesy of my dad)

The entrance to the hotel, the door is the only thing in the whole hotel that is not made out of snow or ice:

The church, yes you can get married there!

The rooms:



I know its a little creepy right? Imagine waking up to that!



The Ice Bar:


So basically the snow hotel was the coolest thing ever! I am really glad I had the chance to see it. Its also really neat because they have to rebuild it every year so it is never the same. :)

The next day we went skiing again. But I just decided to ride the beginner slopes again haha. Just wanted to be safe. I still had a lot of fun and I got to see my sisters and parents ski down the bigger slopes.
Hanna og Ingvild

Mamma

Hanna, Ingvild og Anna

While we were there, there was a bunch of ambulances and a german shepherd, police and a helicopter. It turned out to be that 2 snowboarders decided to go off the track, because the snow looked so nice outside of the track, and they ended up being stuck in really really deep snow. Its really dangerous so they had a helicopter come to save them, and the dog to sniff and find them. It was kind of scary, one of them was stuck in the snow for 30 minutes. So that is why I should never go off the path into the woods like I did on the skis that one time! I am pretty sure both guys are fine now, but here is the helicopter that was on the mountain.


It was kind of cool to think I was actually there when it happened. It was in the news like right after it happened.

On Sunday while we were in the car on the ferry, my sisters and their friend decided to start speaking english! They were saying things like "I speak English" "Mommy, daddy" "I am hungry, let's eat pizza!" It was really really cute! I was amazed at how good they speak english! I mean I have always known they can speak english and that they understand everything I say in english, but it was so shocking to hear them! It was really nice and fun :) Also, I feel so much closer to my sisters now, it is great! We actually talk now sometimes and I love it. I am really looking forward to getting to know them more and become closer to them!

It was a really nice weekend at Bjorli with my family. I am looking forward to the next time we go!! :)








No comments:

Post a Comment