18 February 2010

update!

Tomorrow is our last day at school before vinterferie! Woohooooo!! But here's the thing, I won't be in norway during holidays, I will be in the USA.....

Yes shocking right..? Don't worry, I am not going home for good, I promise! Here's the thing, I really want to be a doctor. And there is a really good medical school program that I applied for awhile ago, and I got 3 interviews for it out of 4. So that is really really good! I asked them if we could just do the interviews over skype, but they said no. So now I actually have to travel home for 9 days and do the interviews.

I am actually really nervous about going home. I know it seems kind of strange, because I should be really happy to see my family and some friends, but I am scared. Don't get me wrong, I am really happy to see my parents, family and friends! I have missed them so much! But I have always imagined that moment in my head at the end of the year when I see everyone for the first time again. Its just really weird that its coming up so soon. I am not ready, but I kind of have to be haha. I am really really looking forward to seeing my animals again though! And eating american food! So it should be quite exciting!! Also, my best friend Maaike, who was in Berea last year as an exchange student from the Netherlands, is visiting the US at the same time I will be there! Our visits will overlap by 3 days. I am so happy I get to spend 3 days with her, because I haven't seen her since June 26th of last year! It will be quite an amazing reunion!! =] I have missed her soooo much!

There is something I am really kind of worried about though, the medical school interviews. I know I speak english, but I kind of speak 'stupid' english sometimes. I am worried I won't know the answers to the questions they ask or I will be really nervous. I mean I am sure it will all work out, but I really hope I get in. I really do want to be a doctor, it is my final decision, hopefully! I am just unsure of what I would like to specialize in. There's a catch though, if I get into this medical school. Classes begin in the 3rd week of June, so I would have to leave norway 2 weeks early :( I know its not the end of the world if that happens, but it really sucks. I am really looking forward to the last months in norway, its when I am happy and have friends and everything. I dont want to leave early! But I know it would be for the best because this is my future we are talking about, and I can come back and visit norway anytime. So if I do get into this school program, I will of course leave early and begin school in June. It would kind of suck because then I would have only 2 weeks to adjust to life at home, and to get ready for college, but I would just have to deal with it. And I won't have a summer vacation to just relax and spend time with my family and friends. But thats okay I guess.

I will definitely write about my little trip back home when I am back in norway :)

4 comments:

  1. hvorfor stoppet du å skrive på norsk? du skrev på begge måtene i forrgje innlegg, eller det ble kanskje litt tungvint?
    God helg
    mhv
    ivrig leser.og venninne av june.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read your blog a bit, and I have a few questions. I'm a sophomore in high school, and I've decided to go on a gap year exchange. But I can't choose between three countries- Norway, Iceland, or Sweden.
    I have a few questions about Norway, if you don't mind answering.
    How is the weather? I'm from a northern state, so I can handle the cold. How hard is it to learn the language? Because I don't have a Norwegian class at school or anything.. :P How do you handle your money?
    I don't want to bombard you with questions, so I'll stop now. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alexa!

    I dont mind answering your questions at all! Iceland was actually my second choice, but I am so happy I chose Norway!

    The weather is quite cold, but I come from the north in the US too, and its not too bad here compared to there. You will learn to dress warm and handle it. Its been around -6 to 3 degrees celcius lately, but it doesnt feel bad. There is also a TON of snow!! it is pretty awesome and i love it. A really good thing is that there is almost always the sun shining. It makes it really beautiful here. Especially when the mountains are covered in snow with the sun shining!

    The language is a little difficult, but it will be a struggle no matter where you go to study. Norwegian is not crazy hard to learn. The only thing I suggest is start speaking norwegian with your family and at school as soon as possible. Dont be afraid, because the sooner you do it, the sooner you will learn. LIke right now I can understand everything everyone says, but sometimes it is a bit harder to speak back, but I can communicate so it is really good. Your host family will help you to learn norwegian, as well as your friends and teachers at school. In the end of December, I began to understand everything. The first months are a struggle, but afterwards you feel amazing because you understand. There will just be a moment when you realize you were day dreaming and still understanding norwegian haha. I heard Icelandic is really really hard to learn. I didnt have any norwegian lessons before I came here either! But seriously, I love norwegian!

    It is quite expensive here actually. I use my american bank card to take out money every now and then. I usually take out a lot at one time and just wait until that is gone. My host parents pay for a lot, the things they would pay for with their other children. I spend money if I want to go out to a party or with my friends. Or if I want to go shopping or anything. But its really not that bad. You will learn how to handle your money once you get here. Just dont go crazy and buy everything! You can also get a norwegian bank card after you get your visa and personal number. Then you wont get charged when you take out money.

    If you have any more questions, just ask away! Or you can email me at nmp802@gmail.com =]

    Hope this helped!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole :) How are you? I found your blog on the AFS website and thought I'd check it out. You seem to be having a lot of fun =D

    My name is Alexandra. I'm part norwegian and american, but I live in Haugesund. It's at the bottom of Norway, about an hour or two from Stavanger if you know where that is? Either way, enough with me babbling... bad habit. Sorry about the anonymous response, but I don't have an account =(

    This fall, I'll be an exchange student myself, I'll be going (home) to America. Can't wait! But I don't know where I'll end up yet... I hope I end up somewhere nice and warm... that'd be nice, but I don't mind ending up somewhere cold either. As you mentioned above, living in Norway makes you used to the cold... I think I'm cold blooded though, constantly freezing. Then again, it might have something to due with the -20 degrees celsius we had this winter. Brrrrrr!

    I'm babbling again! Anyway, I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about how school is like in USA? Compared to Norway? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete